Moms – do you have questions about your kid’s dental care, like how to get them to brush their teeth?
We have the answers! Contact the team at Cityview Family Dental in Ottawa to book an initial consultation for your whole family.
Making decisions about your child’s oral health care can be challenging. How often should they brush? What do I do if they give me a hard time about visiting the dentist?
Follow our 5 step guide to help support the healthy development of your child’s oral health.
- Make oral health care fun – associate a song, or a fun activity with teeth brushing time. Making it seem like a chore may make it harder for them to enjoy and develop healthy habits. Watch a video with your child that demonstrates how their favourite cartoons brush their teeth too!
- Get them excited about their teeth – show them a video or read them a book about visiting the dentist office. Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist is a fun book you can read to your children to set up a positive experience
- Brush, floss and eat healthy yourself- Your children will follow in your footsteps. Putting your oral health care as a top priority sets a good example for your children. They want to be just like you! Give them the support they need through a positive role model.
- Make visiting the dentist a positive experience – the team at Cityview Family Dental knows that visits to the dentist can be scary for children. We will always accommodate your family and provide you with a tour of our office when you arrive, and let your child “ride” the dentist chair.
- Celebrate their teeth – Teeth growth is a great opportunity to celebrate milestones with your children. If they visit the dentist and have no cavities, they lose a baby tooth, or have an adult tooth grow in, you should take the time to acknowledge their smile.
You should bring your child into Cityview Family Dental at the first sign of a tooth, or at around their first birthday. They may not need to see a dentist until more teeth grow in, around age 3. They may also need to see a pediatric dental specialist.